The Scituate Historical Society administers 13 buildings on behalf of the Town of Scituate and for its own programs. The oldest Lighthouse complex in the United States is Scituate Light found on Cedar Point. The best disguised water tower in the United States is the inspiring Lawson Tower found in Scituate Center. Possibly the oldest stone mill is the ageless Stockbridge Grist Mill found in Greenbush.
Each of these sites and 10 others are maintained by the Scituate Historical Society. Open house days occur throughout the late spring and into the fall. The Kathleen Laidlaw Center or Little Red Schoolhouse on Cudworth Road serves as the headquarters for these efforts. Open from 10:00 to 4:00 Monday through Saturday, the Schoolhouse holds the Society archives, a genealogical library, and other sources for historical research. The phone number is 781-545-1083.
Each weekend across the year, guests are welcomed at the Maritime and Irish Mossing Museum on the Driftway. The hours there are 1:00 to 4:00 Sunday. In the summer hours are added on Saturday. Stories of shipwrecks, storms, the Massachusetts Humane Society, Irish mossing, shipbuilding, and Minot’s Light can be found there.
The Scituate Historical Society also offers the Grand Army Hall on Country Way for rent to those in need of a beautiful space for small and mid size groups. The oldest public building in Scituate, the GAR Hall is air conditioned, has a fine caterer’s kitchen, handicap access, and a small stage. More information on renting the hall can be had by calling 781-544-0109 or by visiting www.scituatehistoricalsociety.org.