Duxbury

Alden House Historic Site

105 Alden Street
Duxbury, MA 02332
(781) 943-9092

Alden Kindred of America, Inc.

Part of the original land grant given to Mayflower Pilgrims John and Priscilla Mullins in 1627, the property has been home to generations of Aldens and is now a National Historic Landmark.  Alden House, c. 1680 is seen through guided tours and provides an intimate experience of family life in early New England. Visitors are welcome to tour the grounds and Alden “first site” foundation year-round.   

Admission to house:  Adults $8; kids and students $5; members free. House tours:  June 1st – Mid-October; Wednesday through Saturday, Noon – 4pm and other times by appointment.  

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
John Alden House

loading map - please wait...

John Alden House 42.046301, -70.685975

Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House

479 Washington Streeet

Duxbury, MA 02332

(781) 943-6016

Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

Acquired by the DRHS in 1997 through a community fundraising effort, the Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House is perhaps the most architecturally significant building in Duxbury.  Its construction, on a grand scale uncommon in houses of the area, was based on designs by Bulfinch and Asher Benjamin. Nathaniel Winsor, Jr., a carver of figureheads by trade, inherited a thriving mercantile enterprise from his father. 

The Winsor family built at least 40 sailing vessels in Duxbury including several large brigs which traded in ports around the world.  When the age of sail passed, the Winsors moved to Boston, began to acquire steamships, and ran one of the first regular clippership lines from Boston to San Francisco.

The Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House, DRHS Headquarters, is open year round. Administrative hours are 9:30 am – 2:30 pm (M-Th). The first floor is open to the public, free of charge, and is self-touring. The first floor is handicap accessible.

Please note: the office is closed on regular bank holidays, and for vacation during the week from Christmas to New Year’s. Because we are a small staff, we encourage you to call before visiting, to ensure someone is in the office.

 

 

Nathaniel Winsor Jr. House (1807).

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House

loading map - please wait...

Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House 42.038999, -70.670929

King Caesar House

120 King Caesar Road
Duxbury, MA 02332
(781) 934-6016

Duxbury Rural & Historical Society

This Federal mansion was built in 1809 for Ezra Weston II, known as “King Caesar” for his worldwide preeminence as a shipbuilder and merchant.  Weston’s enterprise dominated Duxbury in the early 19th century with a large portion of the population employed in the Weston shipyards, farms, wharves, mill, ropewalk, or aboard Weston’s fishing schooners and merchant fleet.  Ezra Weston’s ship Hope, built in 1841 was then New England’s largest vessel.  Purchased by the Society in 1965, the house is presented for tours as it appeared in the 1820s.  The house is noted for its rare French scenic wallpapers, portraits of sea captains, and 19th century furnishings.

A guide-led experience through the home of Ezra Weston II (“King Caesar”), Duxbury’s largest shipbuilder, furnished with antiques and maritime treasures exemplifying Duxbury’s shipbuilding era. Introductory video is available. Stroll the grounds, including the remnants of King Caesar’s wharf, now called Bumpus Park. Introductory video available; family treasure hunts and Caesar’s Croquet are offered. More information on the house available at:   http://duxburyhistory.org/historic-houses/king-caesar-house/

Property is open on a seasonal basis; please visit the DRHS website for hours and admission. 

King Caesar House (1809).

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
King Caesar House

loading map - please wait...

King Caesar House 42.045006, -70.664105

The Bradford House, Duxbury

931 Tremont Street
Duxbury, MA 02332
(781) 934-6016

Duxbury Rural and Historical Society

Sarah Hickling Bradford supervised the initial construction stages of this Federal-style home while her husband, Capt. Gershom Bradford, was held captive by the French. This dramatic beginning was the start of a lively and full household in which the Bradfords raised their young children and maintained an extended family. But the story of the Bradford House did not end with Gershom’s death….in fact, for the remainder of the 19th century, the house was owned and operated by women, his wife and daughters. In an age when female autonomy was rare, the accomplishments of these women should not be underestimated. 

The Bradford House opened July 15, 2017 with a brand new exhibition, Four Bradford Daughters: Lives Well Lived. Contemplate the tumultuous changes of the 19th century, as experienced by the Bradford women.The exhibition is a self-touring, gallery style installation in the family home. Tour guides are available for more information, or just for a chat! The exhibitions feature family-friendly and hands-on activities. An introductory video is available. More information on the house available at: http://duxburyhistory.org/historic-houses/bradford-house/.

Property is open on a seasonal basis; please visit the DRHS website for hours and admission. 

The Bradford House, Duxbury (1808).

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
The Bradford House, Duxbury

loading map - please wait...

The Bradford House, Duxbury 42.038281, -70.688374

 

Kingston

Major John Bradford House

50 Landing Rd,
Kingston, MA
(781) 585-6300

Jones River Village Historical Society

The Major John Bradford House was built by John Bradford in 1714 as a home for his bride, Mercy Warren, and it was there that they made their home and raised their large family. When visiting the home you can see household furnishings, tools, fireplaces, pottery and other artifacts of the era, including children’s toys and dolls, are on display.The Jones River Village Historical Society works to collect, preserve and educate the public about the history of the town of Kingston. It makes its collections accessible through exhibitions, research assistance and educational programs and lectures. It also preserves, protects and maintains the Society’s headquarters, the Major John Bradford Homestead. The Major John Bradford House was listed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 2006

Admission: $5.00 Adults, Children: Free, JRVHS Members: Free.

Guided tours of the House are available on Sundays, from 9:00 to ll:30 a.m. in July and August during the Society’s Summer Breakfast Season.

 

Major John Bradford House, Kingston

Major John Bradford House, Kingston

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Major John Bradford House

loading map - please wait...

Major John Bradford House 41.997104, -70.723941

 

 

Plymouth

 

The Hedge House

126 Water Street
Plymouth, MA
(508) 746-0012

Plymouth Antiquarian Society

The 1809 Hedge House is one of Plymouth’s finest examples of Federal period architecture, featuring octagonal rooms in the mainblock, and a rare, intact carriage house. Built by sea captain William Hammatt, the house was originally located on Court St., where Memorial Hall is today. In 1830, merchant Thomas Hedge purchased the house and added a three-story ell to accommodate his large family.

From its current Water Street location, the Hedge House Museum overlooks scenic Plymouth harbor.

Tours of the restored Hedge House are available on a regular basis each year
during the summer months, or by special appointment. Guided tours Wednesday-Sunday, 2 to 6 p.m., June through August. Admission: $6 adults; $3 children.

hedge-house1

Hedge House, Plymouth, built in 1809.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Hedge House

loading map - please wait...

Hedge House 41.955482, -70.661649

Spooner House

27 North Street
Plymouth
(508) 746-0012

Plymouth Antiquarian Society

The Spooner House is one of the oldest structures on Plymouth’s picturesque
North Street. It was home to one Plymouth family, the Spooners, for over two hundred years. Five generations of one family lived here from before the American Revolution into the 20th century. This 1749 house, with its original furnishings, gives an intimate view of Plymouth history after the Pilgrims, including stories of local mariners, merchants, patriots, slaves and reformers.

Tours June through August: Thursdays and Sundays, 2 to 6 pm. Admission: $6 adults; $3 children.

spooner

Spooner House, Plymouth, built in1749.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Spooner House

loading map - please wait...

Spooner House 41.957499, -70.664137

 

 

Harlow Old Fort House

119 Sandwich Street
Plymouth
(508) 746-0012

Plymouth Antiquarian Society

Sgt. William Harlow built the house in 1677 for his family of 10, and worked as
a cooper, farmer and soldier.

In 1676, Harlow was granted permission to salvage material from the Pilgrim’s
fort-house on Burial Hill to use in the construction of his new dwelling. From the early 19th century, the Harlow House has been notable for the hand-hewn
beams attributed to this source.

Costumed interpreters offer tours of the 17th-century homestead and demonstrate daily activities of colonial American life.

Admission, free. Open for guided tours Tuesdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., June through August, and for special events.

Harlow House, Plymouth, built in 1677.

Harlow House, Plymouth, built in 1677.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Harlow Old Fort House

loading map - please wait...

Harlow Old Fort House 41.952021, -70.656981

 

 

Pilgrim Hall Museum

75 Court Street
Plymouth
(508) 746-1620

Pilgrim Hall Museum

America’s museum of Pilgrim possessions, exhibits include William Bradford’s Bible, Peregrine White’s cradle, Myles Standish’s sword and other objects that came on the Mayflower. Enjoy a 15 minute film telling the dramatic story of the Mayflower Pilgrims and their courageous early years in Plymouth. Treasure Hunts for children. Come touch a piece of Plymouth Rock!

$10 for adults (16+), $8 for senior citizens (62+), $6 for children (6-15), and $28 for a family (2 adults with their children aged 6-15). Residents of Plymouth, Massachusetts are admitted free of charge, as are children (5 and under).

Open February through December, 7 days a week, 9:30 am-4:30 pm. Closed Christmas eve, Christmas day, New Year’s eve, and the month of January.  

pilgrom-hall

Pilgrim Hall, Plymouth, built in 1824.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Pilgrim Hall

loading map - please wait...

Pilgrim Hall 41.959090, -70.668570

 

The Mayflower Society House

4 Winslow Street Plymouth, MA(508)746-2590

The Mayflower Society House

Across the street and around the corner from Plymouth Rock, in the heart of Plymouth’s historic district, is The Mayflower Society House. The grounds host the historic eighteenth century dwelling built by the great-grandson of Pilgrim Edward Winslow. Behind this stately mansion are the offices and library of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants. The property overlooks Plymouth harbor where a reproduction of the Mayflower II ship is moored, and Cole’s Hill, the final resting place of many of the Pilgrims, may also be seen.
Stop by to take a guided tour of the House, explore the beautiful garden, and visit our library. This elegant mansion has ten rooms, three centuries of furnishings and artifacts, and is rich in history, including the wedding of Ralph Waldo Emerson to Lidian Jackson in 1834. We would enjoy meeting you, and telling you more about our organization and the history of this celebrated site. 
Nominal admission. Group rates arranged.Open every day from May 15th to October 30th – Hours 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Closed July 4th. Adults: $7, AAA members and Seniors (62+): $5, Children (12 – 18 years): $5, Children under 12 years, Active Duty Military, Plymouth Residents, and Society Members: FREE.


First Parish Meetinghouse in Plymouth

19 Town Square, Plymouth, MA 02360, (508) 747-1606

First Parish Meetinghouse of Plymouth

At the heart of the Pilgrim story stands Plymouth’s First Parish Meetinghouse, birthplace of religious and civic freedom in America. Built on the site where the Pilgrims gathered their church nearly 400 years ago at the base of historic Burial Hill, First Parish is one of the oldest continuous spiritual institutions in America.  Through its Norman architecture, unaltered Arts & Crafts interior, and unique stained glass windows that depict moments in Pilgrim history, the 1899 Meetinghouse, also known as the National Memorial Pilgrim Church, celebrates the freedoms established by the Pilgrims.  In 2014 the Meetinghouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to its historic importance and architectural significance.

The Meetinghouse is open for tours during the months of June through October and by appointment by calling 508-747-1606. All are welcome at 10AM Sunday services.

 

The Mayflower Society House, Plymouth, Massachusetts

The Mayflower Society House, Plymouth, built in 1754.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
The Mayflower Society House

loading map - please wait...

The Mayflower Society House 41.957831, -70.663443

 

 

 

 

 

First Parish Meetinghouse of Plymouth

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
First Parish Meetinghouse of Plymouth

loading map - please wait...

First Parish Meetinghouse of Plymouth 41.955700, -70.664500

The Back Roads of the South Shore is proud to partner with the Plymouth County Convention & Visitors Bureau. For all there is to see and do in Plymouth County year round visit http://www.SeePlymouth.com