Hanover

Samuel Stetson House

514 Hanover Street,
Hanover, MA
781-826-9575

Hanover Historical Society

The Samuel Stetson House is a First Period historic structure in the center of Hanover, Massachusetts. It was built between 1694 and 1716 by Samuel “Drummer” Stetson and lived in for three generations of the Stetson family. The house has been used at times for church meetings, run as a tavern, and even served as the town’s post office.

The old house was purchased in the early 20th century by Dr. L. Vernon Briggs, who made restorations and alterations to the house before donating it to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England. It was sold back to the Town of Hanover in 1978 and became the headquarters for the Hanover Historical Society, which was founded in 1927. In 1979 the Samuel Stetson House was added to the National Historic Register. On the grounds are a restored Barn with exhibits, and an 1850s Cobblers Shop.

The Hanover Historical Society archives and museum are located in the Stetson House.

The house is open to the public on Saturdays, from 12 noon to 4 pm. Telephone messages may be left at 781-826-9575 or you may email inquiries to hanoverhistoricalsociety@gmail.com.

 

stetson-house-2

Samuel Stetson House, Hanover, built 1716.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Samuel Stetson House

loading map - please wait...

Samuel Stetson House 42.116633, -70.842346

 

Marshfield

 Marcia Thomas House

65 Webster Street, Marshfield
(781) 834-0100

Marshfield Historical Society

The Society celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2013 with ten special events.  Click on the above link to be transferred to the Marshfield Historical Society’s site to see details on the programs now being offered.

The 1835 Marcia Thomas House, home of Marshfield’s first historian, was acquired by the Marshfield Historical Society in 1997 and moved to the current site at 65 Webster Street.  The architecture is a classic example of the “Cape” style.  The first floor of the old building is our museum.  The archive houses a collection of over 3500 objects and archives which the Society has been collecting since 1913. Contact our curator (781-834-0100) to schedule research into local history using our Past Perfect cataloging software and database. 

The Marcia Thomas House is open the first Sunday of every month from 1 to 4 PM year-round.  It is fully air conditioned, humidified, dehumidified and heated to a constant temperature and humidity throughout the year.  Adults $5, MHS members free.

About 100 yards south of the Marcia Thomas house, see the old Winslow Schoolhouse on the corner of Webster and Careswell Streets.  This district school was built on that site in 1857, used until 1910, was restored and opened to the public in 1968.  It served as the headquarters for the Marshfield Historical Society until the Marcia Thomas House was opened in 1997.  Its windows, doors and shutters were recently restored using CPA funds by a professional restoration carpenter. It is used each May and June to demonstrate to third-graders in the Marshfield Public Schools what school was like 140 years ago.  Contact a board member to schedule a private tour or request one when visiting the Marcia Thomas house on the first Sunday of each month. 

marcia-thomas-marshfield2

Marcia Thomas House, Marshfield, built in 1835.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Marcia Thomas House

loading map - please wait...

Marcia Thomas House 42.073217, -70.673369

Daniel Webster Estate

238 Webster Street
Marshfield
(781) 834-0548

Daniel Webster Estate & Heritage Ctr.

Daniel Webster, great Statesman, Lawyer, Orator, Senator and Secretary of State under 3 presidents, lived in Marshfield from 1832 to his death in 1852. His original home burned in 1878 and his daughter-in-law Caroline White Webster built today’s Queen Anne-style mansion on the same foundation and incorporated many details in honor of her famous Father-in-law. The building is a fine example of work by Boston architect, William Gibbons Preston —completed in 1880 and recently restored to its original beauty.  On display are many Webster artifacts including his phaeton (buggy) and items pertaining to the Estate’s long history.  Nearby is the Winslow Cemetery where Webster is buried. Webster’s law office has recently been returned to the grounds of the Estate and has been restored. A well dating to the original farmhouse owned by Nathaniel Ray Thomas in 1774 was uncovered and made available for viewing.

Open to the public from 1 – 4 pm the first Sunday of each month from June to November and Thursdays from July to September.

Daniel-webster-estate

Daniel Webster Estate.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Daniel Webster Estate

loading map - please wait...

Daniel Webster Estate 42.077513, -70.679219

 

Historic Winslow House

Webster at Careswell Streets
Marshfield
(781) 837-5753

Winslow House Association, Inc.

Built in 1699 by the Honorable Isaac Winslow , grandson of Mayflower passenger Edward Winslow. This family manor house, Careswell,” was named for their ancestral home in England. Come and hear about the Winslow families who lived and raised their families here as we chronicle over 200 years of daily life in early America.

Guided Tours: Wednesday – Sunday, 11:00 am ­ 5:00 pm. Free (Members); $3/adult, $1/child (Non-Members). Receive $1 off adult admission with your WGBH MemberCard. Open mid-May to mid-October.

 

Winslow house, Marshfield

Winslow house, Marshfield, built in 1699.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Historic Winslow House

loading map - please wait...

Historic Winslow House 42.071692, -70.673032