Hanover

Samuel Stetson House

514 Hanover Street,
Hanover, MA
781-826-9575

Hanover Historical Society

The Samuel Stetson House is a First Period historic structure in the center of Hanover, Massachusetts. It was built between 1694 and 1716 by Samuel “Drummer” Stetson and lived in for three generations of the Stetson family. The house has been used at times for church meetings, run as a tavern, and even served as the town’s post office.

The old house was purchased in the early 20th century by Dr. L. Vernon Briggs, who made restorations and alterations to the house before donating it to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England. It was sold back to the Town of Hanover in 1978 and became the headquarters for the Hanover Historical Society, which was founded in 1927. In 1979 the Samuel Stetson House was added to the National Historic Register. On the grounds are a restored Barn with exhibits, and an 1850s Cobblers Shop.

The Hanover Historical Society archives and museum are located in the Stetson House.

The house is open to the public on Saturdays, from 12 noon to 4 pm. Telephone messages may be left at 781-826-9575 or you may email inquiries to hanoverhistoricalsociety@gmail.com.

 

stetson-house-2

Samuel Stetson House, Hanover, built 1716.

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoRSS-Logo
Samuel Stetson House

loading map - please wait...

Samuel Stetson House 42.116633, -70.842346

 

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.